Microsoft has announced the latest quarterly updated for Exchange Server 2016 and 2013.
- Cumulative Update 6 for Exchange Server 2016 (download | UM language packs)
- Cumulative Update 17 for Exchange Server 2013 (download | UM language packs)
For Exchange Server 2016 this release includes the following improvements for on-premises customers:
- Sent items behavior control (previously available only in Exchange Online)
- Original item recovery (announced earlier this month for Exchange Online)
Those changes do not apply to Exchange Server 2013. From Microsoft's blog post:
These features are targeted to Exchange Server 2016 only and will not be included in Exchange Server 2013. Exchange Server 2013 already has its own implementation of Sent Items Behavior Control which is different than the version we are releasing today. The Cumulative Update 6 behavior is more closely aligned with how this worked in Exchange Server 2010. Due to architectural differences, the configuration of this feature is not retained if mailboxes are moved between Exchange Server 2010 and Exchange Server 2016 or between Exchange Server 2013 and Exchange Server 2016.
Microsoft also shared progress on two other matters:
- Support for TLS 1.2 is described as “improved”, but Microsoft is not ready to recommend deprecating TLS 1.0 and 1.1 yet.
- .NET 4.7 compatibility testing is progressing well with no issues found so far, but they are not ready yet to declare .NET 4.7 supported for Exchange servers.