I’m going to get laughed at by my colleagues for posting this, but I’m excited that Microsoft has released Small Business Server 2008.
SBS 2008 comes in two versions, the Standard version includes:
- Windows Server 2008
- Exchange Server 2007 (Standard Edition)
- Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
- Windows Software Update Services 3.0
The Premium edition includes
- a second Server 2008 license
- SQL Server 2008 Standard for Small Business
The product also ships with 120 day trials of:
- Forefront Security for Exchange
- Windows Live OneCare for Servers
Although I would anticipate most customers will investigate third party security products.
The great thing about the SBS product is that it integrates all of the components together with nice wizards and customised admin consoles to make deployment and administration a real breeze. Its pretty hard to screw up an SBS deployment when you go along with the “SBS way” of doing things instead of treating it like a bunch of independent products.
I have exactly one SBS 2003 customer needing to transition to SBS 2008 which I am sure will yield me some good blog fodder.