Welcome to the first Practical 365 podcast of 2020 – it’s just Steve this week as Sigi’s off on holiday and in this week’s show there are fewer announcements (everyone’s been off over Christmas!) but we’ve got some new stuff rolling out – and important message center announcements as well.
Listen to the episode here, or read on to get a quick summary.
First off on the show Steve discusses his favourite announcements of 2019 – including Project Cortex, the new Yammer, Windows Virtual Desktop, and some really cool Teams innovations. You can read more about this in last week’s blog.
Message Center Updates
• MC199232 – eDiscovery for Yammer rolling out to tenants in mid-January 2020 – for NEW customers this will be automatic, and for existing customers, this will require you to move to Native Mode.
• What’s native mode? Find out more: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/yammer/configure-your-yammer-network/overview-native-mode
• MC199161 – Priority Notifications – this was a free unlimited promotion until Dec 31st, 2019 – with E1, F1, and Business Essentials users only getting 5 a month – with the rest being unlimited – and has been extended until April 1st, 2020
• MC198678- Previously announced in Roadmap ID 59430, Room Cards are coming to Outlook on the Web. These will allow you to see what a room’s features are, assuming you set them with the new Set-Place cmdlet. Quite interesting if you are looking to try and use Rooms to replace a legacy meeting room system as exposing room features is pretty important.
• MC198554 – Changes to @mentions in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. At the moment you get an email saying someone has mentioned you – this update will add the context – so the comment and the surrounding content as well. You’ll even be able to reply to the comment without needing to open the document.
New on the Roadmap
• 57014 – Outlook for iOS – support for iCal and ICS file attachments is on its way
• 49095 – OneDrive for Business “Save for Later” functionality
• 51259 – the functionality to support making a site the root site is rolling out in the form of “invoke-spositeswap” – which will allow you to move sites between locations in an Office 365 tenant.
• 57131 – Microsoft Search comes to SharePoint Classic sites
Join us next week for more Microsoft 365 news where Sigi will be back on the show – and have a great 2020!