Office 365 is Microsoft's cloud offering that provides software and services to customers on a subscription basis.
The name “Office 365” has been used by Microsoft to refer to quite a wide variety of product and services. Office 365 can refer to:
- The Office applications that run on Windows and Mac computers, as well as mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones. These applications include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, and more.
- The collection of Office 365 online services that provide cloud-hosted email, communication, and collaboration features to businesses, governments, and education institutions.
Office 365 Applications
Microsoft sells Office 365 Home, Home and Student, and Personal editions for use by individuals, students, and households. This subscription offering is a departure from the old model of selling Microsoft Office as a one-time purchase. By offering Office as a subscription, Microsoft is able to deliver the latest software and features to customers at all times, instead of customers needing to pay to upgrade to newer versions of Office ever 2-3 years.
The applications that are provided inn Office 365 subscriptions include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and more. The specific applications included will depend on the subscription that you have. For example, Office 365 Home and Student does not include Outlook, whereas Office 365 Home and Office 365 Personal do.
You can find a comparison of Office 365 application subscriptions here.
Office 365 Cloud Services
The Office 365 cloud services that Microsoft offers include:
- Email and calendaring with Exchange Online
- Online file storage and sharing with OneDrive for Business
- Instant messaging, video and audio conferencing with Skype for Business Online
- Intranet website hosting with SharePoint Online
- Enterprise social networking with Yammer
- Productivity and collaboration features such as Groups, Teams, and Planner
You can read more about Office 365 for Business and Enterprise on the Microsoft website.
Learn About Office 365
Office 365 skills are among the most sought-after knowledge for IT professionals today. If you’re an experienced IT pro, the transition to managing cloud services will be fairly smooth. If you’re new to the industry, Office 365 skills will get your foot in the door and your career moving forward.
Office 365 for IT Pros is the leading book about Microsoft’s Office 365 cloud services available today. Written by industry experts and Microsoft MVPs, Office 365 for IT Pros gives you the independent view and real-world perspective that you need to be successful when deploying and managing Office 365. Find out more here.
There are also a variety of high quality, on-demand video training courses available online that you can use to enhance your Office 365 skills. Learn more here.
Here are some recent articles about Office 365.
- Restoring the Default Malware Filter Policy in Exchange Online Protection
- Microsoft's Spectre/Meltdown Guidance for Exchange Server and Office 365 Customers
- Renewing an Apple Device Enrolment Certificate for Intune
- 2017 Year in Review for Practical 365
- December 2017 Updates Released for Exchange Server
- Microsoft Releases Advisory for Azure AD Connect Service Account Security Risk
- PowerShell Scripts for Office 365
- The Curious Case of the Quarantined Azure AD Identity Protection Weekly Digests
- Unable to Turn Off User Overrides in Office 365 DLP Policies
- Getting Comfortable with Data Loss Prevention Policies in Office 365
- OneDrive for Business Group Policy Template has Changed
- MeetEasier Helps Your Users Find Available Meeting Rooms
- First Steps: Configuring Exchange Online Protection
- New Office 365 App Launcher Experience Rolling Out to First Release
- Office 365 Groups vs. Shared Mailboxes
- PowerShell: Listing Azure AD/Office 365 User Accounts with Directory Sync Status
- Microsoft Recommending Non-Expiring Passwords to Office 365 Customers
- Important Change to Intune Device Compliance Policies is Coming in November
- Microsoft To-Do Reaches General Availability
- New Pluralsight Course – Office 365 Administration Playbook
Make sure you've subscribed to Practical 365 to get the latest news, tips, tricks and tutorials for Office 365.