When planning an Exchange migration I like to review the storage quotas configured on the existing databases. This ensures that new databases are configured with at least the same quota level and not inadvertently left with a smaller quota level, and also presents an opportunity to review quotas in the organization in case they can be increased or removed entirely.
In the days of migrating from Exchange 2003 this was a tedious task, but fortunately thanks to PowerShell it is now quite simple.
Here is a basic script that can be used to check all mailbox and public folder databases and report their storage quotas. Note that the script should be run from the Exchange Management Shell on a legacy server in your organization (e.g. if you’re upgrading from 2007 to 2013, run the script on a 2007 server or management shell).
Download the script from Github.
Simply run the script from the Exchange Management Shell.
[PS] C:ScriptsExchange2013Planning>.Get-ExchangeDatabaseQuuotas.ps1 Processing MB-HO-01 Processing MB-BR-01 Processing MB-HO-Archive Processing MB-BR-02 Processing MB-HO-04 Processing MB-HO-02 Mailbox database storage quota report saved as C:ScriptsExchange2013PlanningExchangeDatabaseQuotas-MailboxDB.csv Processing PF-BR-01 Processing PF-HO-01 Public folder database storage quota report saved as C:ScriptsExchange2013PlanningExchangeDatabaseQuotas-PublicFolderDB.csv
The two CSV files are written to the folder where the script is run from, depending on which type of databases are found:
Thanks for creating/maintaining such an awesome site. It’s really helping out with our migration. I’d like to try out this script, but it looks like the download link is not working.
Sorry, download system broke. I’ll move the script to Github ASAP and let you know when it’s there.
I’ve added the script to Github and updated the link in the blog post.
Pingback: Exchange 2010 to 2013 Migration Pre-Requisites & Info Gathering
When I try and download the script I get Not found, error 404.
Hi Matt, apologies, my download system has broken in the last couple of days. I have replaced the link with one that should work now.
I tried downloading the script. It says “404 error”
the link is still dead/down…